Health is not just reserved for the young. Better health can be achieved by almost anyone, but for many it remains continually elusive. Here are a few things you can do at home to get your health on the right track.
- Dry Skin Brushing: The largest organ in the body, the skin plays a huge role in detoxification and elimination. Dry skin brushing can help to keep the pores in your skin open and encourage the elimination of toxins and other metabolic waste products. It can also improve the surface circulation of blood and lymph. This results in a stronger immune system and an increased ability to bring much-needed oxygen and other nutrients to the skin. You will need one natural, non synthetic, bristle brush or loofah. It is preferable to use one with a long handle so that you can access hard to reach areas. Make sure to brush your skin before showering or bathing, so that you can then wash off any dead skin cells. Using circular counter-clockwise strokes, begin on the soles of the feet and move up around the ankles, calves, thighs, buttocks, abdomen, breasts/chest and back. Then proceed to the palms of the hands, around the wrists and up the arms and shoulders. You should always be brushing toward the heart. The face and inner thighs are sensitive areas and can be avoided. The brush should not scratch, but you should feel some friction against your skin. Wash your brush in soap and water every one to two weeks to remove any accumulated debris.
- Eat a Variety of Differently Coloured Fruits and Vegetables: Red, green, blue/purple, orange, yellow, or white fruits or vegetables are all recommended to ensure you are being exposed to a plethora of essential nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fibre. Eating a variety of different colours will protect against digestive issues, poor vision, impaired immunity and much more. Best of all, it will give you more vitality!
- Contrast Showers: Alternating hot and cold in the shower is an invigorating and extremely beneficial custom to include in your daily routine. A hot shower has a stimulating effect on the circulatory system, while a cold shower will also stimulate blood flow and metabolism, first by constricting and then later dilating blood vessels. Contrast showers improve circulation, increase cellular oxidation, stimulate the immune system, strengthen the nervous system, and help direct toxins out of the tissues and organs. Begin with 1-3 minutes hot water and then 30 seconds cold water. Over time, you can increase the contrast in temperatures for better effects. Repeat 3 times and end on cold, which has an overall warming effect.
- Castor Oil Pack: The castor oil pack is specifically indicated for a broad range of symptoms and disease states, including almost all digestive disorders such as constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, liver diseases and gallstones, as well as male and female pelvic complaints such as enlargement of the prostate, PMS, uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts. It can also help with conditions related to hormonal imbalance such as irregular menstrual cycles and infertility, and even more general complaints such as headache and numerous inflammatory conditions. Apply about a quarter-sized amount of castor oil to your whole abdomen. Fold a piece of cotton or wool flannel to size and use it to cover your abdomen. You may want to cover the flannel with the old towel, as castor oil can stain other fabrics. Place a hot water bottle or heating pad over your castor oil pack to aid the oil’s penetration. Relax for 30-45 minutes. This is a wonderful time to practice deep breathing, meditation, or any other relaxing activity that you enjoy. You will derive the most benefit from your castor oil pack if you use it a minimum of 3-4 consecutive days each week.
- Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice: Adding lemon or apple cider vinegar to your water in the morning has the benefit of maintaining proper pH, improving digestion and increasing bile production, flushing out toxins and supporting healthy liver function. Add the juice of half a lemon or 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar to one cup of warm water. Drink 15-20 minutes before breakfast. For maximum benefits, drink before every meal.
Have fun implementing these health tips into your day. Even if you only incorporate one or two of these recommendations, you will feel the benefits!